On today’s episode of “Divorce: Taking the High Road,” Glenys Reeves shares her insights for effective communication in divorce. Glenys believes communicating effectively is a skillset that can be learned and should be practiced. Equally important is supportive listening. She also introduces the concept of position-based vs interest-based communication. Glenys emphasizes effective communication is essential for helping control erratic emotions which can override logic and reason, potentially causing long-term consequences.
Key Discussion Points
- Glenys shares her personal background as a coach and also her own divorce experience which led her to the field of divorce coaching.
- Why is communication important in a divorce and what are some common mistakes divorcing couples make when communicating with one another?
- Communication techniques that can be used for co-parenting with your ex, along with a role play example.
- How non-defensive, yet assertive communication techniques will benefit not only the divorcing parents but the children as well.
- Glenys shares examples of clients she has worked with that struggled with effective communication, but through her coaching were able to learn and apply new communication skills they had learned.
- The one lesson in effective communication Glenys feels everyone should remember when going through a divorce.